KENYATTA DAY – what’s there to celebrate? The Government of Kenya (GoK) spent on Airforce jets and State festivities over K.Shs. 300 million raised from high taxes on fuel, electricity and water; whereas thousands of Kenyans are cold in the IDP camps, and millions more cannot afford one meal a day.
The Grand Coalition’s fat cabinet of 42, squanders K.Shs. 46.2 million per month while 5 Kenyans die per day in Turkana district, thousands eat wild berries and rats and millions of poor families are on a permanent skip-a-meal-a-day program.
Kenyans squirm and sweat in the hot sun (at Uhuru Park or wherever else politicians take them) or are drenched in the pouring rain, listening to politicians’ sanctimonious and lip-service speeches about "hard times," “the struggle” and “ time for change.” Members of Parliament (MP), sitting in the covered dais away from the harsh elements meanwhile enjoy "the Coke side of life." They have every reason to celebrate Kenyatta Day:
1. The GoK gives your MP a tax free salary of K.Shs. 1.1 million for working 12 days a month plus lots of allowance such as airtime, mileage and hardship among others.
2. Your MP can from his one month salary buy Unga daily at K.Shs. 85 for 35 years whereas you can’t afford 1 packet of Unga from your wages and don’t even know where tomorrow’s packet will come from.
3. The GoK gives your MP K.Shs. 15 million as housing scheme allowance whereas
thousands of Kenyans are squatters and homeless on the streets of cities.
4. Besides giving your MP a Mercedes Benz or a Prado as official car, the GoK gives your MP K.Shs. 3.3 million to buy a family car that is fuelled by your taxes, whereas, you – the taxpayer, walks to work because you cannot afford hiked Matatu fares.
5. Your MP receives a life insurance cover of K.Shs. 10 million while 90% of Kenyans cannot access health care.
My fellow Kenyans:
- Are you struggling because of the high cost of basic commodities such as Unga?
- Are you struggling because you were displaced in post-election violence?
- Are you struggling because of the high cost of fuel?
- Are you struggling because of the lack of a job?
- Are you struggling because the minimum wage policy has kept your wage so low?
- Are you struggling because of poverty?
-Are you struggling because you are landless, a squatter and homeless?
If the GoK, the MPs and political class does not CARE about YOU why should you join them in Kenyatta Day celebrations? The Government of Kenya must:
1. Reduce 2kg packet of Unga to K.Shs. 30/=
2. Reduce Petrol prices to K.Shs. 65/= per litre.
3. Reduce Electricity tariffs to K.Shs. 3/= per KW/h.
4. Reduce Kerosene prices to K.Shs. 35/= per litre.
5. Reduce Bread price to K.Shs. 20/= per 500mg.
6. Reduce 2kg packet of Sugar to K.Shs. 40/=
I invite you to make this statement with me!
Bunge La Mwananchi